Over the weekend i attended Masterji Visnawath’s Ashtanga Vinyasa workshop and here are a few notes i took…
We found out the actual name of Surya Namaskar A, it’s not just A, it has a real name, “Aruna” whilst B is “Maha Saura”, but i guess A & B just had a ring to it didn’t it?
– In the 2nd and 3rd postures of the sun salutations, Uttanasana and Ardha Uttanasana – Keep palms pressing down on mat.
– In Chaturanga Dandasana, don’t squeeze the elbows in, allow a small gap between the elbows and the sides of the body.
– In Adho Mukha Svanasana, heels down, palms down, hips up.
– Chin over the knee to lengthen the spine.
– In Utthita Trikonasana head in line with the legs.
– Relax toes – shoulders – jaw – forehead.
– In Prasaritta Padottanasana A, B, C, D – chin down to straighten back.
“Never, never a yogi should look unwell” – Masterji Visnawath
“Always a person who does yoga should have a smiling face” – Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Understand your own body – Yoga is a practice of Freedom.
The Origins of Yoga
In the Bhagavad Gita we get an idea of the origins of yoga, the BG was written 5000years ago, so the idea is that yoga is about 5000 years old, but actually yoga is much older than that.
1st Guru of Yoga is Shiva, and by chanting Om we are evoking Shiva.
We pray to Patanjali – our present day Guru.
Teachings appeared in the Vedas – Upanishads.
Patanjali wrote the sutras for present-day teachers – very abstract.
Darshana – this is a sort of vision
– 6 schools all have the same goal of Liberation
“Yoga Darshana” by Patanjali
Jnana (knowledge), Karma (action) & Bhakti (devotion) Yoga.
Detached from the outcome = Liberation.
Mysore style is the best way to learn.
The Teacher is the best prop in the class.
Vinyasa is the highest level of learning asanas.
People were practicing yoga before Patanjali wrote “The Yoga Sutras”.
The knowledge you get from self-practice is best.
Yoga is to control the Mind.
Yoga Chitta Vritti Nirodha:
– Chitta is more than just the mind, it’s also manas (->collects), buddhi (->intellect), ahankara (->ego)
– Vritti – fluctuations, the activity/modifications of chitta
– Nirodha – not just merely control, modification from one state to another.
Firm practice: regular & continuous – 6 days a week = quick results.
Practice without expectations, dis-attachment.
Never Stop Practicing!
There’s a few last things that Masterji said that have stuck – pain in the joints/body is due to cheese.
Practice changes based on age:
one should start yoga at the age of 8, not before.
8-13year – light practice (in this phase the body goes thru lots of physical changes)
13-16 (sometimes even 18years) – not too many backbends
from 20years everything can do – until about 50/65years, then again practice should change…i.e. at the age of 80 it might not be a good idea to do a headstand etc.
Rigid students should practice as much as possible – repetition helps open up.
~*~ There’s a few more notes on Pranayama which i will add in a few days – so check back in! 🙂